My last post I mentioned my experiences with the Be the Match donor registry, and last week I got a call from them. I have been chosen as the backup donor, meaning, there is one other match that is better, but if for some reason that person can't or chooses not to donate then they will call me. The doctors have chosen to do a bone marrow transplant, and the transplant will take place the beginning of May. We are back to waiting! When I joined the registry 10 years ago I was in a completely different place in my life. When I got the call I will admit I was taken back and caught off gaurd, doubt entered my mind, and lots of excuses, such as I'm a mom now, I have 4 kids! Then I had to step back and put myself on the otherside of the issue. I had to be the one putting their faith in a total stranger. I knew nothing about the person in need of the donation, but I said YES. If the tables were turned I would want someone to step up and say yes, I will donate. After the medical questionaire, I found out the patient is a 28 year old female, that's all I know. This hit home for me, she is only 2 years younger than I am and has so much to live for. I have thought about this woman a lot over that past few months, wondered who she is, if she is a mom and wife like myself, if she wants to be a mom, but is too sick. So many thoughts about this person I don't know, but that I will gladly step up and help if called to do so. Meanwhile one of my best friends from high school has a neice that has been diagnosed with Lukemia, and they just found out she will need a bone marrow transplant in the next 3 or 4 months. They too will be turning to the Be the Match donor registry if there isn't a match in the family. I pray that they too will find a match for their sweet angel and that when that match is called they will say yes! If you are interested in joining the Be the Match registry you can join online. Go to http://marrow.org you could save someones life.

No comments:
Post a Comment